This is a Filipino version of steamed "rice" cake though I don't believe there is rice flour in Bisquick. While not quite the Chamorro poto, it's a delish variation on a cupcake/muffin.
2 cup regular Bisquick
¾ cup granulated sugar
½ cup whole milk
½ cup water
2 whole eggs
Tools: large steamer, large bowl, electric beater, napkins, 6-count mini muffin tin, tart shells or puto molds
- Prepare your steamer, bringing the water to a rolling boil.
- Use a napkin to smear white shortening on your 6-count mini muffin tin, tart shells or puto molds.
- Place all of your ingredients in the bowl.
- Beat on medium speed with an electric beater until well combined.
- Fill each mold three-quarters full.
- Place the basket half of the steamer on your counter.
- Put the molds or tins in the basket.
- Cover the top of the steamer with a kitchen towel.
- Place the cover of the steamer on top of the towel; this prevents water from dripping onto the puto.
- Steam for 8 to 10 minutes till done. The puto will rise and set like a cupcake.
- Remove the basket from the boiling water and carefully uncover.
- Unmold the puto and cool on a wire rack.
- Store in a covered container at room temperature or in the fridge.
- Reheat in the microwave if you like the puto hot.
Return to More Recipes
SATISFYING YOUR GUAM RECIPE CRAVINGS SINCE 2006.
Effective March 2021, PaulaQ will begin replacing Canola and vegetable/seed oils in recipes with pure lard from Reverence Farm, and organic coconut oil. In addition, beef, pork, and poultry products will be sourced from Reverence Farm in Graham, NC.
LOOKING for something on Paulaq.com? Enter your keyword in the search box below:
PURCHASE YOUR BOOKS TODAY
Here's Home | A Taste of Guam | Remember Guam | More Recipes | Romance Novels | Macaron Book | Visit Guam | Food History | Food Photos | The Big Green Egg | Contact Paula
© Copyright Paula Quinene. Check out Guam cookbooks and Chamorro cookbooks, A Taste of Guam and Remember Guam, for more Guamanian recipes and Chamorro recipes that are tested, tried and true. Get Macarons Math, Science, and Art, for foolproof macaron recipes and techniques. Enjoy a Guam romance novel in Conquered. Most photos courtesy Paula and Edward Quinene.