GERMAN CHOCOLATE FROSTING
My brother Paul picked fresh pecans one year so I decided I would mix that with freshly grated coconut . This German chocolate frosting is a gazillion times better than what you find in a tub. Fresh coconut makes a hug difference. So, if you do not have access to fresh pecans, buy the unsalted halves in a bag and grate your own coconut.
1-12 oz. can evaporated milk
6 beaten egg yolks
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
1 cup unsalted butter
3 cup freshly grated coconut
2 cup toasted, chopped pecans
Tools: large, non-stick pot, container with cover, 1 gallon freezer storage bags
1. Combine the milk, yolks, sugars, vanilla and butter in the pot over low heat.
2. Use a rubber spatula to mix the ingredients as it heats.
3. Once the butter begins to melt, increase the heat to medium and stir constantly. The mixture will thicken quite a bit as it cooks, about 10 to 15 minutes.
4. Remove from the pot from the heat when the mixture is noticeably thicker then add the coconut and pecans.
5. Cover the frosting directly with plastic wrap and cool completely.
6. Leave the plastic wrap on the frosting then cover the container with the lid, storing in the fridge overnight.
7. Leftover frosting may be stored in freezer bags in the freezer for six months.
SATISFYING YOUR GUAM RECIPE CRAVINGS SINCE 2006.
Effective March 2021, PaulaQ will begin replacing Canola and vegetable/seed oils in recipes with pure lard from Reverence Farm, and organic coconut oil. In addition, beef, pork, and poultry products will be sourced from Reverence Farm in Graham, NC.
LOOKING for something on Paulaq.com? Enter your keyword in the search box below:
PURCHASE YOUR BOOKS TODAY
Here's Home | A Taste of Guam | Remember Guam | More Recipes | Romance Novels | Macaron Book | Visit Guam | Food History | Food Photos | The Big Green Egg | Contact Paula
© Copyright Paula Quinene. Check out Guam cookbooks and Chamorro cookbooks, A Taste of Guam and Remember Guam, for more Guamanian recipes and Chamorro recipes that are tested, tried and true. Get Macarons Math, Science, and Art, for foolproof macaron recipes and techniques. Enjoy a Guam romance novel in Conquered. Most photos courtesy Paula and Edward Quinene.