KALAMAI II - Jell-O version
½ c. masa harina
½ c. sugar
13 ½ oz. can + ¼ c. thick coconut milk
1½ c. water
½ t. red food coloring
½ c. cornstarch
½ c. water
Cinnamon for dusting
Tools: medium pot, 9x13 or two 8x8 pans, rubber spatula
1. Mix all of set 1 in the pot with the rubber spatula. Bring the mixture to a boil on medium heat.
2. While waiting for it to boil, mix the ½ cup of cornstarch with the ½ cup of water. USE ONLY 1/3 CUP OF THIS MIXTURE.
3. When the mixture in the pot comes to a boil, add only 1/3 cup of the cornstarch/water solution. Stir constantly as you add the cornstarch.
4. Reduce heat to medium-low. Continue to heat for 2 to 3 minutes, cooking the cornstarch taste out of the kalamai.
5. Pour the mixture into pans; you do not need to use non-stick pan spray. Immediately sprinkle with cinnamon.
6. Cool to room temperature then place uncovered in fridge overnight.
7. Cover kalamai the next day.
8. Slice and serve. It's best to eat this after two days.