Suman, pronounced sue-mahn, is a Filipino dessert made of sweet rice, coconut milk and brown sugar. The sweet rice does not actually come sweet; the bag is labeled "sweet rice." This particular type of rice is extra sticky. I got this recipe from my Filipina friend Nancy. I remember eating suman on Guam and with Nancy in Germany. However, it was not until I went to another Filipina friend's wedding in Hawaii that I actually began to enjoy and appreciate this dessert.
from "C" - This is the best and easiest Suman I ever tasted --- I have been making this sweet rice dessert since Aug 2014. Since my mom is getting older, I wanted to show her that I too can make Suman -- your recipe is so easy and delicious --- all these years I thought it was so hard to make because my mom use to grate the coconut and squeeze the juice in a cheesecloth. Thank goodness for canned coconut milk. I always make a 9 x 13 pan of Suman -- my family and friends eats it all -- I gave it away as a Christmas gift to neighbors. Thank you so much. Aloha"
2 cups raw sweet glutinous rice kernels
2 cups water
1 can thick coconut milk
½ lb. dark brown sugar (half of a 1 lb. box)
Tools: rice cooker, 8 x 8 baking dish with rim, pan spray, small pot, whisk, large stirring spoon
- Pour raw rice into the rice pot and rinse one time; drain the water.
- Pour two cups of water into the pot using the same measuring cup.
- Cook rice according to the directions of your rice cooker.
- Spray the baking dish with non-stick spray and set aside.
- Once the rice is cooked, pour the coconut milk and brown sugar into the small pot.
- Heat the mixture on medium heat. Stir with the whisk until the sugar and milk are thoroughly blended, becoming slightly thick.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Reserve a ½ cup of the sauce.
- Remove the pot of rice from the cooker.
- Pour the remaining sauce directly into the cooked glutinous rice and stir.
- Empty the mixture into the baking dish.
- Pour the reserved sauce over the rice and spread with the spoon.
- Place the dish in the oven and bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
- Cut when completely cooled and serve in baking dish or wrap in banana leaves.
- Suman may also be eaten warm with a spoon.
You might also like Cassava Cake
Return to More Recipes