GUAM FRUIT SALAD
I combined a couple of recipes to make a salad that is reminiscent of what I had on Guam. This is not too sweet, but it is creamy delicious! The green food coloring is optional though green or pink fruit salads were very popular on Guam way back when. You will need to drain the fruit for four to eight hours before preparing the salad.
Makes about 9 fluffy/not compacted cups of salad
2 – 15 ounce cans or 850 grams fruit cocktail with maraschino cherries and grapes in light syrup
1 – 15 ounce cans or 425 grams mandarin oranges in light syrup
1 – 8 ounce can or 227 grams pineapple tidbits in light syrup
4 ounces or 113 grams real Philadelphia cream cheese - slightly warmed
8 ounce tub or 227 grams Cool Whip whipped topping
1/3 cup or 75 grams full-fat sour cream - room temperature, about 70 degrees F.
1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons green food coloring - optional
1 ½ cups or 75 grams miniature marshmallows, colored
½ cup or 50 grams shredded, sweetened coconut
¾ cups or 95 grams walnut halves - measured, toasted then chopped
Tools: colander, large salad plate, large mixing bowl, electric hand beater, rubber spatula
1. Pour the fruit cocktail and pineapple into a colander followed by the mandarin oranges. Drain. Set colander with fruit in the salad plate to drain for four to eight hours in the fridge. This will reduce the amount of fruit juice that settles at the bottom of the bowl after the salad sits in the fridge. There will be some liquid, but not as much.
2. Once the fruit has drained for a couple of hours, warm the cream cheese for 5 seconds in the microwave. Fold the cream cheese around with the small spatula. It needs to be soft so that it incorporates well with the greed food color! Reheat at 3-second bursts until you can easily fold the it around the bowl. with the electric beater. Beat cream cheese well.
3. Add the room temp sour cream and the green coloring to the cream cheese. Thoroughly beat together.
4. Add the Cool Whip and beat to combine. Use a rubber spatula to scrape the edges and the bottom of the bowl. Beat again to incorporate.
5. Add all the fruit, walnuts, coconut, and the marshmallows to the bowl of whipped ingredients. Use the rubber spatula to gently fold everything together. Some mandarin oranges will break apart.
6. Transfer to desired containers, cover, and refrigerate at least two hours.
NOTE:The salad will hold up for two days in the fridge…but drain the liquid once you see it inside the bowl.
RETURN TO MORE RECIPES
NEXT RECIPE: MANHA PIE