APPLE TURNOVER FILLING
OMG, this is a delish filling not only for apple turnovers, but also as a topping for waffles! Makes enough for about 30 pieces of apple turnovers.
1 stick unsalted butter
10 medium Granny Smith apples (6 lbs.), peeled, cored, cubed small, soak in lemon water as you cube them
1 ¼ to 1¾ c. granulated sugar
½ to ¾ c. light brown sugar
1 to 2 ½ tablespoons ground cinnamon
2 tsp. vanilla extract
¼ c. cornstarch
¼ c. lemon juice
Tools: large pot, rubber spatula, small bowl
1. Taste the cubed apples. If they are not as tart as they normally are, you may not need all the sugar.
2. Melt butter in large pot, halfway between medium-low and medium heat. Add the cubed apples.
3. Cook apples until they have reduced in volume by about 1/3.
4. Add the cinnamon, vanilla, 1 ¼ cups granulated sugars, and ½ cup light brown sugar. Cook apples until they are soft. Add remaining sugar if you want the filling more sweet.
5. Mix together the cornstarch and lemon juice.
6. Add this to the apples and cook for 2 minutes.
7. Remove from the heat. Cool completely and store covered in fridge till ready to use.
8. Use within 3 to 5 days.
Return to More Recipes