APPLE TURNOVER FILLING
OMG, this is a delish filling not only for apple turnovers, but also as a topping for waffles! Makes enough for about 30 pieces of apple turnovers.
1 stick unsalted butter
10 medium Granny Smith apples (6 lbs.), peeled, cored, cubed small, soak in lemon water as you cube them
1 ¼ to 1¾ c. granulated sugar
½ to ¾ c. light brown sugar
1 to 2 ½ tablespoons ground cinnamon
2 tsp. vanilla extract
¼ c. cornstarch
¼ c. lemon juice
Tools: large pot, rubber spatula, small bowl
1. Taste the cubed apples. If they are not as tart as they normally are, you may not need all the sugar.
2. Melt butter in large pot, halfway between medium-low and medium heat. Add the cubed apples.
3. Cook apples until they have reduced in volume by about 1/3.
4. Add the cinnamon, vanilla, 1 ¼ cups granulated sugars, and ½ cup light brown sugar. Cook apples until they are soft. Add remaining sugar if you want the filling more sweet.
5. Mix together the cornstarch and lemon juice.
6. Add this to the apples and cook for 2 minutes.
7. Remove from the heat. Cool completely and store covered in fridge till ready to use.
8. Use within 3 to 5 days.
Return to More Recipes
SATISFYING YOUR GUAM RECIPE CRAVINGS SINCE 2006.
Effective March 2021, PaulaQ will begin replacing Canola and vegetable/seed oils in recipes with pure lard from Reverence Farm, coconut oil, and avocado oil.
LOOKING for something on Paulaq.com? Enter your keyword in the search box below:
PURCHASE YOUR BOOKS TODAY
Here's Home | A Taste of Guam | Remember Guam | More Recipes | Romance Novels | Macaron Book | Visit Guam | Food History | Food Photos | The Big Green Egg | Contact Paula
© Copyright Paula Quinene. Check out Guam cookbooks and Chamorro cookbooks, A Taste of Guam and Remember Guam, for more Guamanian recipes and Chamorro recipes that are tested, tried and true. Get Macarons Math, Science, and Art, for foolproof macaron recipes and techniques. Enjoy a Guam romance novel in Conquered. Most photos courtesy Paula and Edward Quinene.