SOUTH CAROLINA SWEET MUSTARD SAUCE
This sauce is excellent with smoked, pulled pork on a pretzel roll. South Carolina sweet mustard sauce and pulled pork with chopped onions and green bell peppers makes for an amazing pizza cooked on the Big Green Egg too!
The original recipe was from food.com, but it was not sweet enough so I added more brown sugar. I also doubled the batch.
1 ½ c. yellow mustard
1 ½ c. apple cider vinegar
1 c. light brown sugar
3 T. unsalted butter
2 tsp. table salt
¼ c. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. ground black pepper
Frank’s red hot sauce or Tabasco to taste
Tools: medium sauce pot, whisk, rubber spatula, 2, 1-pint mason jars
1. Place all of the ingredients in the pot. Use the whisk to thoroughly incorporate.
2. Bring to a gentle boil then reduce the heat and simmer the sauce for 20 to 30 minutes.
3. Use the rubber spatula to stir occasionally, and to clean along the edges of the pot as the sauce cooks.
4. Pour the sauce into clean mason jars, leaving a ½-inch space from the top.
5. Cover each jar with a lid and ring. Set aside to cool to room temperature then keep in the fridge.
NOTE: The mason jars do not need to be sterilized as you will store the sauce in the fridge. I’m going to freeze one jar next time then let you know how it turns out after thawing. It should be fine, but we’ll see.
Return to Green Egg