BIG GREEN EGG SMOKED CHICKEN CORN SOUP
You know how much I love my Big Green Egg – and the smoked chicken that comes out of it! Well, this smoked chicken corn soup is the bomb – an adaptation of my original Guam corn soup. I've tried adding a cubed russet potato, but the potato takes away from the smokey aroma and coconut flavor.
Makes about 14 cups.
4 T. or ½ a stick of unsalted butter
1 c. diced yellow onions
4 cloves garlic, minced
2.5 c. chopped, mesquite-smoked chicken
¼ c. all-purpose flour
1 – 10 ¾ oz. can of condensed cream of mushroom soup + a can full of water
2 – 13 ½ oz. cans thick coconut milk
2 – 15 oz. cans sweet corn, drained
1 – 14 ½ oz. chicken broth, hot
1 tsp. salt
½ t. pepper
Tools: large pot, whisk, rubber spatula
1. Melt butter in the pot over medium heat. Sautee the onions until they are soft. Reduce heat as needed. Add the garlic and sautee for one minute.
2. Add the chicken and stir until it is heated through.
3. Sprinkle the flour over the mixture in the pot. Use the rubber spatula to thoroughly blend the flour with the chicken, garlic, and onions.
4. Pour the hot chicken broth into the pot and use the whisk to blend the mixture completely.
5. Add the cream of mushroom then fill that can with water and add the water to the pot. Whisk well.
6. Add salt and pepper. Taste, and add more seasoning if desired.
7. Pour the drained corn and the coconut milk into the pot. Whisk everything together.
8. Cover and heat for 10 minutes without bringing the soup to a boil. Use the rubber spatula to stir.
9. Remove from the heat when done.
Return to Big Green Egg