APPLE or APFEL CAKE
This is not your typical, sweet, American treat. Instead, it is a German dessert my sister-in-law Viktoria shared with me. I love it so much I had to include her recipe in Remember Guam. It's a tribute to our roles as mom, wife, sister, daughter and granddaughter, passing on our heritage.....Guam meets Armenia, living in Germany! I love this cake cold!
When my husband and I were stationed in Germany, I loved the flavor and scent of the German muffins. It was not too sweet or too oily. Viktoria's apfel cake takes me back to a beautiful country and some great years as a military spouse.
I did notice a typo under the list of ingredients in the cookbook. The flour measurement should be 1 3/4 cups, which is correctly stated in the step-by-step directions. Also, in my oven, the cake took 65 minutes to cook instead of 40 minutes.
5 large eggs
½ c. sugar (100 grams)
½ t. vanilla
¾ c. unsalted butter, softened (171 grams)
1 ¾ c. all-purpose flour (plus ¼ cup flour for the cake pan) (224 g……plus 32 g to dust pan)
1 t. baking powder (4 g)
½ c. chopped walnuts (plus a few walnut halves to decorate the top of cake) (64 g)
juice of half a lemon
Tools: 2 medium bowls, electric beater, Crisco, 8-inch round pan, napkin, cake plate
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare apples. In a medium bowl, mix the juice from half a lemon with three cups ice-cold water. This will prevent the apples from turning brown.
- Peel each apple. Slice into ½ inch thickness, discarding the core.
- Place slices into the ice-cold water. Set aside.
- Using a napkin, grease the cake pan with Crisco.
- Sprinkle ¼ cup flour into pan. Turn pan to coat it entirely with flour. Shake out excess flour.
- In the other bowl, beat together the 5 eggs, ½ cup sugar, and the ½ t. vanilla.
- Add the ¾ cup butter to the egg mixture and beat till very well combined.
- Add 1 ¾ cup flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, and walnuts to the wet mixture.
- Beat all together till well mixed.
- Spread half of the prepared batter into the cake pan. Arrange apple slices over the batter (saving four slices to decorate the top).
- Spread the rest of the batter over the apples.
- Decorate the top of the cake with the remaining apple slices and walnut halves.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or till toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool for 10 minutes.
- Remove cake from pan.
- Cake is ready to serve hot.
Return to Remember Guam Next recipe